Saturday, September 30, 2006

Belinda's Blues

I blame my dog for this blog. He wakened me at 5:30 this morning and I had to take him for a walk. It was glorious pre-dawn morning and I should have confined my stroll to Whiskey Pt. Road (I chose my retirement home very carefully) where I could have enjoyed the splendours of the star-filled sky away from any ambient light.

Instead I let Laddie's nose lead me the other way. Once I saw the lights of the Petro-Canada station a kilometer away I was seduced into thinking it would be good to spend an hour or two reading a Saturday morning paper. I may not like its editorial slant, but the Globe & Mail must be admired for its efficiency in getting its paper out onto the street. Faced with no choice other than the Auto Trader, I succumbed to the temptation and was towed home by Laddie to read the Globe.

There was much of interest including a feature on the Cowichan Valley's fine wines and cuisine, some of which I was able to enjoy later in the day, and the book review section offered some good suggestions for winter reading fare. Alas I read Michael Valpy's article on Belinda Stronach, back in the news as the alleged "other woman" in the Tie Domi marriage breakup. So here I sit, unable to go to sleep until I get these thoughts off my mind.

The newspaper has been put to better use since this morning (keeping the smell of crab carapace under control) so I can't go back and re-read the piece, but I was disheartened by a distinct hint of encomium in Valpy's piece. Perhaps it was too early in the morning for me to detect the irony which I have come to expect to underpin essays by Mr. Valpy. Surely he wasn't really entranced by the buffness of Belinda's sculpted frame, nor was he was genuinely unconcerned about the fact no one with whom he spoke could list any subject upon which they could recollect Belinda having ever expressed a thoughtful remark.

Is there some important sociolgical point to be scrutinized by G&M readers emerging from the fact women like Belinda apparently find men who skate sexually attractive? Belinda's second husband was Johann Koss, triple gold medalist in speed skating in the 1994 Olympics, and now she appears to be involved with Mr. Domi - he of the extra large head, bushy eyebrows and who knows what other seductive physical attributes to spin the head of former cabinet minister and $9 million per year auto executive. Poor Peter McKay, if only he had been a hockey player and not a rugby player, Belinda might yet be by his side and on the opposite side of the floor in the House of Commons. On second thought, lucky Peter Mckay and lucky Canada.

Ms. Stronach's attitude toward this entire incident - "what do you expect me to do on a Friday night, stay home and knit?" - reminds me of that of the rapist who broke off to reproach his victim: "you don't think of anybody's feelings but your own!"

Meanwhile I await a Focus piece in the Globe & Mail singing the praises of a faithful husband or wife.