Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Revanchism Revisited

I am poised for the inquiries concerning the title for the site of my commentaries. Those who don't know me well - most of you - may question my choice of moniker and put me in their rolodex under angry, white, redneck, probably evangelical Christian.

Some will put me there anyway,and of course two of the four accurately describe me; but I thought I should confess to having done only a modest amount of research before settling on the title. I still like it, but want to assure you I am a kinder, gentler, more moderate form of revanchist than you might find with a cursory google search.

As first mentioned I have a natural affinity for things Gallic and the contrariness of General Boulanger was instantly appealing to my rebellious side, to say little of the genealogical intrigue.

My revanchism is not of the revengeful type, but rather the more wistful variety. As I have grown more aware of my conservative instincts - their appearance roughly coinciding with that of hair between my shoulder blades in place of between my ears - I have begun to gain a greater appreciation for the value of tradition, and the importance of being wise when it comes to embracing change.

More on this later.